Stirling Castle

Upon leaving Wallace’s Monument we started walking towards the centre of Stirling. We ducked down a lane way and Kim got to meet a small dog going for a walk. The lady walking the dog told us the best place to catch the bus so we headed for that stop. No sooner had we got there and the bus arrived. That was good timing.

The town of Stirling is on a bit of a hill. When we got off the bus we were at the base of the hill, the castle was at the top. We were hungry so we had a look around for somewhere to eat. The only problem was we really didn’t have that much time to spare. We wandered through the shopping centre and found a historical sight in the shopping centre that David had mentioned. We got a photo of me down there as proof. We never did get anything to eat. We tried a few more shoe stores to see if they had any shoes in my size and of course they didn’t. We left the shopping centre and started our long walk up the hill to the castle. It was a slow walk up the hill. We passed a few things that we might have looked at if we had more time, but we just kept on walking. At one point Kim thought the Canon G10 wasn’t working properly. I had a play with it and it started to work again.

We got all the way up to the castle and through the gates. The ticket office was closed. We had Heritage passes so we thought it would be a case of scanning the pass and going in. We were wrong. We had to go back down a portion of the hill to another shop and get them validated and then we could go in. Before we found that out Kim took a toilet break and I waited outside. I heard over the radio that some kid had lost a shoe down the well and they wanted to know if anyone could help. That isn’t something you hear everyday.

Finally we got into the castle to have a look. We explored the place and took plenty of photos. We had made it across the courtyard to one of the inner walls when the Canon G10 started playing up again. This time I wasn’t able to fix it. It was broken! We figure it was damaged in New York when that stupid bag check kid dropped Kim’s bag from 6 feet. Anyway, Kim wasn’t happy and fair enough too. I managed to get Kim taking photos without using the other features the camera has to offer. Basically it became a prime lens camera. I know it isn’t the same but at least she was still taking some photos.

It was getting late and the castle was going to close soon so we headed off towards the train station. It was going to be a long and slow walk as the footpaths and roads were rough and Kim was having trouble with her ankles. As we walked along a group of Indians (from India) flagged down a bus that was leaving the castle grounds. There were no passengers aboard. They climbed on and we thought that it would be a good idea for us to use the bus as well. It didn’t cost much but apparently what little it cost was too much for the group of Indians because they jumped off as soon as we got on and paid. The trip back down the hill in the bus was great as it took next to no time to get near the train station. It was a short walk from the bus to the station and it was on the flat and quite easy going. We got our tickets back to Alloa and caught the very next train. The whole trip from the castle to a seat on the train didn’t take very long at all.

We were returning to the Alloa station near the ASDA. As soon as we got off the train I had my phone in hand dialling Avril and David, Kim did the talking. I didn’t want to spend any more time there than I had to. David turned up and we again quickly jumped into the car.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s