My wife and I are celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary today. Ever since our first valentines day together we have made it a point to make each other cards for special events (Valentines day, birthdays, anniversary, etc). So with this fortnights challenge at Perfectly Rustics in mind, I decided to use the brayer technique as inspiration and create an anniversary card for my lovely wife.
The colours I used for this card are:
Pink Pirouette, Rich Razzleberry and Midnight Muse
To create the background I made stencils from paper by cutting portions out. It took some time to cut out the stencil, but I like the effect they have on the card. I also used another technique to give a faux washi tape look. It seems to be all the rage these days to use washi tape and this is another take on that theme. I don’t remember where I saw this originally, but it was on the internet somewhere. I took the magic tape and placed it on the stamp pad to ink it up. Then I put the tape on the paper, smoothed it out a little and then removed the tape. The texture of the tape acts like a stamp. It is a bit messy, but isn’t that what hand crafting is about?
I fully realise that sleeping with one of the design team gives me an advantage in this challenge, but she has agreed to not judge my card at all.
Perfectly Rustics is still a new challenge site. They are doing their best, but they could use more entries. It is all a bit of fun so if you are looking for some ideas or want to put your work out there, please think about Perfectly Rustics.
It has been quite some time since I sat down and crafted with my wife, but the urge hit me tonight. The inspiration for this card came from my wife. Kim had done a really cool looking scrapbook page using a new rubbing technique. I’m not sure if it has been done by anyone else, but neither of us had seen it before. What she did was use the Stampin’ Up embossing folders as a rubbing background and created clouds on a blue card background.
This week at Just Add Ink their challenge was to use a new technique that I had never tried. I have been out of card making for more than a year, so there are plenty of techniques I haven’t used before, but this was the one I wanted to try. I used a wood grain embossing folder to rough up the brown, and some other patter folder (don’t know the name) for the red.
It was good to knockout a card for a challenge. This ended up as a Christmas card. I had no idea what it was going to be when I started, I just knew I wanted to try the rubbing technique.
It has been a very long time since I’ve done any challenges, but I had an opportunity to put something together this week for Just Add Ink. I decided to make a bookmark for my son (6 weeks old) from some scraps we had lying around. It is a basic bookmark, but you don’t need extravagance for someone that young. He probably won’t use it himself for quite some time to come.
This week, in fact the entire month, my lovely wife has been a guest designer at Just Add Ink. I have been a bit slack of late and haven’t been getting any challenges done, so I thought I better get at least one done while she is guest designing.
This weeks Just Add Ink challenge was to add some colouring in to the card. After the passing of my Grandmother on Thursday I decided to spend some of Sunday taking my mind off things by creating some manly cards, this was one of those cards.
I embossed the boat separately from the birds and white caps. The white caps and birds were done with the versa mark pen. The greeting is also embossed. The sails are coloured with a marker. The rest of the scene is water coloured.
The Just Add Ink challenge this week is Black and White. That is it, use only black and white and create a card. I think this is brilliant as many people get carried away with colour, much like in photography.
I had a bit of a play this week and tried a few things that I had been thinking about for a while. I went rustic with my card. The background has been created with torn white card stock with the edges darkened with black ink. The label was made by the Top Note die. I folded the card stock in half and only used a portion of the die to cut it out.